- Achievement of at least a 2:2 and preferably a 2:1 honours degree (or recognised equivalent). In highly exceptional and very occasional circumstances an application with a Third Class degree could be considered.
- The relevance of an Honours degree content and /or A Levels or relevant experience in relation to the chosen specialist subject(s) see below also;
- Passes at GCSE in English Language, Science and Mathematics at grade C/4 or above (or equivalent).Please note that Level 2 Adult Numeracy and Literacy are not an acceptable equivalence to the GCSE requirement for teacher education. To find out more about equivalent qualifications please read this document Equivalency-Guidance.
- If you do not yet have a GCSE Grade C/4 or above or recognised equivalence, then please get in touch and we can discuss equivalency options with you. Tests will be through BCU and available from February 2021.
- Selection on to our course is based on the information provided on the DfE application and on a successful interview.
- A medical report which is deemed satisfactory;
- A completed DBS enhanced disclosure which is deemed satisfactory by the SCITT;
- Successfully demonstrating the potential to evidence the Fundamental Mathematics and English requirements associated with the profession of being a teacher.
UK citizens who have qualifications obtained abroad will be required to obtain a NARIC verification to inform the judgement as to the suitability of the degree for our programme.
As specialist pathways in Art and Design, Early Years, English and the Performing Arts, English & Communication (SEND), Mathematics, Geography and History, PE and Science are offered, there is an expectation that candidates will have relevant prior study and attainment in at least one of these subjects/areas. This will relate to either a related A level, and element of your degree or appropriate prior experience in relation to your specialism.
Prior School-Based Experience
If you are applying for either our Primary programme or English & Communication (SEND), prior school experience is not required. However, if you would like any help in applying for our programmes please do get in touch with us. Our Back to School and insight days may provide you with an opportunity to see if teaching is for you.
English Language Requirements
If your first language is not English then you must have IELTS 7.0 or equivalent with a minimum of 6.5 in each sub-test or equivalent.